Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate and an Affiliate of other programmes, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is never an additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
Welcome to our post “Top 5 Tips on Staying Healthy During Your Trip”
1. Prevent Insect Bites
Diseases such as Malaria are spread through insect bites.
Make sure to use use the correct Insect repellent. 30-50% DEET Picaridin
Wear long sleeves shirts if possible
Peak biting period is usually dusk & dawn, so remain inside, preferably screened off or air conditioned area, during these periods
Sleep in a bed treated with permethrin, if not in a screened or air conditioned room.
Spray the room with Insect repellent spray
2. Be Careful with water & Food
Wash your hands after with soap & water especially before eating. Use 60% Alcohol based hand gel if available.
Drink only boiled or bottled water. Do not drink tap water, fountain drinks or ice water, all could contain harmful bacteria.
Make sure foods are fully cooked
Avoid unpasteurized dairy products
Avoid Street Vendor food
Make sure you take along some anti Diarrhoea and sickness tablets to treat mild symptoms of food poisoning
3. Be Careful With Car & Bike Journeys
One of the leading causes of Hospitalization of travellers is accidents whilst travelling in foreign lands. Make sure you are protected by:-
- Wearing helmets when riding Motorbikes, Scooters or Cycles
- Wear seatbelts as you would at home, even if not legal to do so.
- Don’t drink & drive just because your on holiday
- Follow local traffic laws
- Don’t use drugs whilst driving
- Avoid over loaded buses
- Hire local Guide if possible
- Avoid night driving
4 Other Staying Healthy Tips (Don’ts)
- Do not share needles for Tattoos, piercings or injections. HIV & viral hepatitis can be caught!
- Do not handle pet animals especially cats or dogs. A bite from a Rabies infected animal can have devastating health problems. If Bitten, seek urgent medical help.
- If you suspect Animals may have defecated, do not go barefoot on beaches or paths, to avoid fungal & parasitic infections
5 Other Staying Healthy Tips (Dos)
- Do try to exercise whilst on vacation. Try the Hotel’s gym or simply walk instead of taxi everywhere
- Do drink lots of bottles water as Hydration is the key
- Do use Wetnaps and sanitizers, especially where soap & water aren’t available
- Do protect your skin by wearing sunscreen with minimum SPF 15
- Use Latex condoms to avoid HIV & other sexually transmitted diseases.
Thank you for reading our blog post-You may also be interested in our other post “Tips For Frequent Travellers“