Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate and an Affiliate of other programmes, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is never an additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
Whether you need a generic set of trekking poles or something ultralight to make your weight carrying less, you will find the Black Diamond brand a very suitable choice indeed.
They are usually up there with the top sellers in nearly every trekking pole category.
Our in-depth review will help break down what trekking poles work best for whom and what type of support they provide, along with other vital details about the product.
The Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z Z-pole is one of the most popular trekking poles around, but what makes it such a great product for so many hikers? Let us delve further into this question!
Who Is This Product For?
The Black Diamond Distance Carbon are ideal for any level of hiker of any height. They don’t have adjustable sections but as long as you size them correctly before purchase, you shouldn’t notice the difference.
They can be used for varying terrains with relative ease.
If you have had knee problems in the past, you will find these poles offer a reliable amount of support, easing the impact of any hard terrain and downhill stretches. Even if you don’t have injuries, these poles will reduce the chances of sustaining an injury as they are so utterly stable under pressure.
If you need an ultralight trekking pole, these are ideal. They weight only 280g per pair, which is very light indeed and you will hardly notice the weight in your backpack.
This set of trekking poles comes with:
- 2 x lightweight Trekking Poles with 100% Carbon construction,
- interchangeable, non-scarring rubber Tech Tips
- carbide Tech Tips
Overview of the Features
These trekking poles are made out of a durable, affordable carbon/aluminum blend. This special blend used by Black Diamond is a bit lighter than some more expensive poles, and that difference in weight will help you feel less tired while on the trail.
Additionally, these are very sturdy poles. If you begin to lose your balance and start to fall, you will use the poles to brace your weight, you won’t break them. They are a safe and secure set of poles that you can expect to be able to use for a long time.
While these trekking poles are not shock-absorbing, they do a great job of negating the impact caused by downhill stretches. This takes pressure and pain away if you lean on them as you hike downhill.
Product Features from the manufacturer:
Black Diamond’s Distance Carbon Z is our lightest Z-Pole engineered for those who travel fast. With 100% carbon construction, the Distance Carbon Z weighs just 9 ounces and features a three-section foldable design that allows for fast-response deployment. We’ve improved the Distance Carbon Z’s joint support making them 30% stiffer, and they’re now more durable with reinforcements around the locking mechanism and upper shaft. Non-scarring rubber Tech Tips and a lightweight, EVA foam grip round out this pole as a lightweight detail-driven pillar in pole tech.
- Improved joint support and stiffness
- More durable with added aluminum ring to protect carbon
- Lightweight, EVA foam grip with breathable, moisture-wicking grip
- Non-slip EVA foam mini-grip extension
- Three-section foldable design with speed-cone deployment
- 100% carbon fiber construction
- Interchangeable, non-scarring rubber Tech Tips and carbide Tech Tips
- Stopper basket with shaft catcher to secure folded sections
Reviews from actual customers
Let’s see what one delighted customer had to say about them over on Amazon:
22 November 2018Size: 110Colour: Black Verified Purchase
“These poles seem almost miraculously light. The fold up very small (small enough to go in a day sack for example) and can be deployed very rapidly. They seems very strong to me (I weigh close to 90 kg and they helped me on a lot of rocky ground while hill walking without any feeling of weakness or bending). The main thing which may give a purchaser pause (apart from the cost!) is that one can’t alter the length. I am used to changing the length according to the terrain, for example while descending a steep slope, and there are no adjustments at all. I got used to that pretty quickly in fact. But be careful which length you choose to buy, and don’t expect to lend your poles to someone very different in height.”
How to Use Trekking Poles
Using trekking poles isn’t tricky, but there are some basic guidelines that you should follow when putting these poles into action to be sure that you are supporting your body correctly and lowering your risk for injury.
This video gives a great, in-depth explanation of how to use poles:
Personal Experience with these poles
- Just soooooo light! Six ounces lighter than my other carbon poles, granted those adjust. I cant say that I miss the adjustments however, I never really used that feature.
- I’m 5’8″ and I got the 120’s, if you’re on continuous super steep terrain maybe consider sizing down.
- I use these for mountain running, they’re fantastic for power hiking steep sections. The folding Z design is so quick to break down and stow on the go its ridiculous, I don’t have to slow down at all.
- I really lean into these things when power hiking and they handle it.
- So far I’m pleased with the comfort of the grips, and the grip extension below the main grip for extra steep sections.
- There is a left and a right, so watch out.
- I’ve used carbon poles exclusively now for over four years with no breakages, for both running and backpacking.
- This is my first pair of BD poles and so far they’ve performed admirably.
- Will also be using them for tarp set up when fastpacking.
- And its six ounces less to carry while on a long run or overnighter.
- I wont lie though, the price was initially a shocker, but I’d get them again..
DISLIKES: I’ve only been using them a couple of months so cant speak to longevity, but that’s not really a dislike. I just don’t know yet.
As you can see from this review, this set of trekking poles from Black Diamond is a good set for nearly any type of hiker. Whether you’re just getting into hiking or you simply want to get a basic, reliable set of trekking poles for every kind of terrain, these poles can provide just that.
If you want poles that are durable, reliable, and fit for many different heights and types of terrains, this is an excellent set for you.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Distance-Z-Poles-Trekking/dp/B0772QQSN7/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=trekking+poles&qid=1554381157&s=gateway&sr=8-13&linkCode=sl1&tag=travellingtipsuk-21&linkId=9c5dc108014c78c8fe1fae072355f740″ target=”blank” size=”9″ radius=”0″]Check reviews & current Amazon price Here[/su_button]